Why I study philosophy

At a recent job interview I gave a terrible response to the question “What is Philosophy?” There are multiple correct answers to that question, and I gave only one. In retrospect a better response would be more volumous, which reflects the various types, ways and methods of doing philosophy.

But what they all have in common is someone doing philosophy. All the different categories and movements are at bottom really individual people doing this stuff – writing the books, giving the lectures, thinking the thoughts. The reason why there are so many multiple right answers to the question “What is philosophy?” is that there are so many multiple people pursuing philosophy in their own idiosyncratic ways.

I study philosophy because I followed Aristotle’s advice that thinking about thinking is the highest form of life. To study philosophy, The Philosopher writes, is the best life.

No comments: